Thursday 6 June 2013

Reader Journal

This book was a collection of feelings. When the characters were happy, so was I. When they cried, I cried (Thanks John!). This book was a rollercoaster of emotions and I intend to tell you why. I’m breaking this down mainly by page number so I can give you a play by play of my thoughts.

Pg. 17 “His every syllable flirted.” Wonderful way to show flirtation.

Pg. 19 What is a Hamartia? And I love that it’s a word I don’t know, but now I do, and I love it and I love that John Green put it in the book knowing that most people wouldn’t know what it meant and they’d have to look it up.

Pg. 20 “You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don’t give it the power to do it’s killing.” I love this metaphor. It’s so simple and symbolic. I talks specifically about smoking, but really it can speak to anything that you fear. Because when you confront the thing that you are afraid of or that you believe can or is killing you and you literally and physically have control over it killing or scaring you, it’s the ultimate comfort. The ultimate sense of power. That you can control the thing that you are so frightened of, the thing you believe can kill you. I absolutely adore this.
Pg. 34 “I am going to read this terrible book with the boring title that does not contain stormtroopers.”  Little one liners like these make me realize how adorable Augustus is and how much I wish he was a REAL.
Pg. 63 “That’s the thing about pain,” Augustus said, and then glanced back at me. “It demands to be felt.” Ugh, I LOVE this because it’s so true. Love and Pain seem to be the strongest of emotions... There are just times when the pain of something is so incredibly intense...there is nothing else to do BUT feel it.  

Pg. 72 “Caroline is no longer suffering from personhood.” What a lovely way to say someone has died. LOL!


To Be Continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment